Thursday, September 29, 2011

Shootin' the Breeze

I'm feeling like this has been the llooonnngggessstt week ever. October needs to hurry up and get here! I LOVE this month for many reasons. Every year, the first Sunday in October we have a family reunion on my Mom's side.  It's good to see extended family and meet new cousins.  A year seems to go by so fast, yet so slow.  It's been a tough year, but a good one for my family.

At each reunion, I'm reminded of my Papa and all of the memories I have of him. If you knew him, you would know that he was the kindest man you would ever meet. He would literally give the shirt off his back to make someones life easier. I had the privilege of being the oldest granddaughter, and he made sure everyone knew. He was also the only person that called me by my middle name "Brooke". There are a lot of fun memories as well; like drinking muscadine wine and standing on top of a dog house. He also called my Mom's dog Kramer, by the name of "creamer"...so funny!  He passed away in January of 2008 and has been missed so much since.

My Papa and all of his siblings are probably in Heaven "shootin' the breeze". I can see them now, laughing and talking about all of the memories they shared.  They certainly were a tight group, which was and still is important.  As my family meets again this weekend, only without my Papa and his siblings, I will be reminded of how blessed I am.  I could never come up with enough words to describe how much I love my family.

What's for lunch?

Well I'm sure we'll have a little bit of everything to satisfy everyones taste. We live in the South, I expect to at least see fried chicken and pecan pie. Who wouldn't? I plan to take some side dishes, but also want to make something sweet. Butterfinger Blondie's...OH MY!  My Grandmother always made Blondie's back in her earlier years. They were "deliciouso"; is that even a word?

 I found this tasty recipe on Pinterest. According to the reviews they are sure to be a hit.
 Butterfinger Blondies

After all is said and done, I plan on "shootin' the breeze" for the rest of the afternoon. Nothing is better than a good nap after a big meal. I will also think about my Papa and be reminded of the simple things in life.  


No comments:

Post a Comment